ConvertKit Review Summary
4 / 5
ConvertKit is a powerful email automation tool that helps business owners to grow their subscriber base and ultimately their business. It offers a range of email marketing solutions like automation, segmentation, funnels, landing pages, forms, industry-standard delivery rates, etc.
Best Suited For
The creators like bloggers, YouTubers, solopreneurs, writers, teachers to generate more leads.
Free plan for the up to 500 subscribers and paid plans start at $29/month.
Yes, 14-Day free trial for the paid plans
Ease of Use
4.5 / 5
4.5 / 5
4 / 5
3.5 / 5
3.5 / 5
Value For Money
4 / 5
ConvertKit was launched only a few years back and it has quickly become one of the most preferred email automation tools specifically by the creators like bloggers and small business owners. It offers easy-to-use yet powerful visual automation builder, beautiful forms and landing pages, a range of integrations and an intuitive email builder.
If you are familiar with email marketing then I am sure you would have heard about ConvertKit.
Before we take a deep dive into the full ConvertKit review, I wanted to talk a little bit about the email marketing;
In today's dynamic world, the new messaging apps show up quite frequently but that hasn't prevented people from using the oldest way of staying up-to-date with trends and friends i.e. emails.
Many people have adopted contemporary apps like chatbots, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, SnapChat but they still use emails.
I am sure you are sick of hearing "email generated $32 for every $1 spent" or "the money is in the list".
It's because it's damn true even today and will continue to give great ROI in the years to come.
Many people believe that email marketing is on the verge of dying but the stats say something otherwise.
Without stressing more on whether email marketing is still worth or not you should start focusing on building your own database of email subscribers.
And that's the area where ConvertKit can you with, build your email list and ultimately grow your business.
Why ConvertKit Is So Popular?
ConvertKit is a pretty new tool in the world of email marketing and automation.
But it has managed to transform itself into a brand in just a short period of time because of the powerful features and the ease of use it offers.
It's quickly becoming a first choice of the solopreneurs and mid-sized companies for managing their email and marketing automation.
In fact, on their official website, they're clearly saying that this tool is specifically focused on the "creators".
A creator could be anyone, a blogger, YouTuber, author, teacher, podcaster, musician, designer, etc.
ConvertKit claims that they offer the easiest and incredibly powerful features for automating email marketing for the creators.
Furthermore, it offers a 14-day free trial period if you are skeptical about what you will get after getting into its monthly subscription.
In this comprehensive ConvertKit review, we are going to talk about every bit of this tool that you must be aware of if you are planning to try it out.
We will be discussing in-depth, what is ConvertKit, its features, pricing plans, integrations and other aspects that are important to know.
What is ConvertKit?
ConvertKit is an all-in-one email marketing and automation tool that helps individuals and creators to grow their email lists and keep in touch with their subscribers and customers.
It was founded by a young entrepreneur Nathan Barry in 2013 who started ConvertKit as a side project.
Today, the ConvertKit team is 37+ today across 28 cities.
ConvertKit is used by more than 20,000 creators including top marketers and entrepreneurs.
In 2019, ConvertKit crossed 15 million in annual recurring revenue and more than 2 million in a net profit.
ConvertKit offers many powerful features that are needed to an email list by automating many tasks.
For example, subscribers grouping based on tags and segments, email sequences or autoresponders, broadcasts, contact management, landing page builder, form builder, automation workflows and much more.
- ConvertKit is popular for it's "text-based" email creator.
- The plain-text emails not only give your customers a personal feel but also they are most likely to be delivered into the customer's inbox and not considered spam.
- The visual automation feature from ConvertKit is a simple-to-use yet powerful.
- Many people call it as powerful as ActiveCampaign and many other tools in the market but it's easy-to-use and cheaper when it comes to price.
- Creating the landing pages or forms is pretty straightforward with ConvertKit as it comes with an in-built drag-and-drop builder.
- Anyone with little or no programming knowledge should be able to create beautiful landing pages or forms.
- There is a pre-built library of customizable landing pages and forms that should be enough for anyone to match the pages or forms with their respective brands.
- Their inbox delivers rates are also pretty awesome which is a result of their main goal that is building trustworthy deliverability.
- If you are using any other email marketing tool and want to switch to ConvertKit then it shouldn't be a big deal. They have a dedicated team that makes this process hassle-free by removing all the roadblocks and will do it on your behalf.
In short, ConvertKit could prove to be your all-in-one email marketing and automation platform and save you a lot of time and money.
Nathan created ConvertKit with a goal of helping creators so that they can focus more on creating rather than spending more time on email marketing.
The idea here is, ConvertKit can help you grow your email subscriber base and ultimately grow your business and you can focus on your work i.e. creating your content.
Now let's talk about the key ConvertKit features that will give you more idea about whether this tool is really useful to your business or not.
1. Email Sequences (or Autoresponders)
ConvertKit allows you to easily send your new subscribers a welcome email and follow up emails on the subsequent days with just a matter of clicks.
- The drag-and-drop email editor builder is powerful that allows you to create personalized emails for your contacts.
- Each of your subscribers will receive the emails automatically based on the email sending schedule that you set up.
- Adding a new email to a sequence or moving it up or down in the schedule is just a matter of clicks.
Surprisingly, as of today, you can send a maximum of one email per day to your contacts (most probably to avoid getting considered as spam) while other tools allow multiple sends during a day.
2. Powerful Email Editor
ConvertKit is popular for its powerful email editor that is specifically designed to create plain-text emails with great formatting options.
Plain-text emails perform better and have higher chances of getting delivered into the inbox than those filled with images, videos, and other graphic elements.
When I say, "plain-text" I refer to simple emails with very fewer or no graphics elements.
- With Convertkit's powerful email editor you will be quickly able to customize the look and feel of your emails by changing fonts, colors, etc.
- Adding or updating the lists, personalized headers, links, buttons, dividers, and many other formatting options through the menu bar is quick and easy.
- Upload your own images like a logo (that gets stored into your own image library) or add an image from a library of 100000+ images from Unsplash.
- If you are comfortable with the coding then switch to an HTML editor to customize some parts of your content.
- Save your email as a template so that you can use it to create another email later on.
- There is no limit on the number of templates you can create.
- Each of the emails that you create with ConvertKit's email editor is fully responsive and looks great on all types of devices like desktops, laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.
3. Sign Up Forms
Every journey has a starting point.
For your customers, it all starts at your sign up forms.
There are various types of sign up forms that you can create with ConvertKit, for example, download forms, pop up forms, profile landing pages and course sign up pages.
- The signup forms (or web forms) created with ConvertKit are fully-responsive and looks good on almost all kinds of devices.
- There is an in-built library of customizable signup form templates that allows you to change everything to match it with your brand.
- All the customizations like color, text, image, buttons, headlines etc can be done using a powerful drag-and-drop builder and there is complex coding involved.
- Furthermore, you can collect additional information from your subscribers in addition to their email address, for example, first name, last name, physical address, phone, etc.
4. Landing Pages
One of the benefits of using ConvertKit is that you can start capturing and growing your email list even though you don’t own a website.
And that’s possible with the powerful in-built landing page builder that allows you to create the beautiful and converting landing pages in just a matter of minutes.
- You are not required to design everything from scratch as there are 18 fully customizable landing page templates that can be customized to meet your needs.
- Though you don’t need to touch the code in order to design the landing pages, you have a custom CSS option in case you want to take the customization to the next level.
- The one thing that I like the most about ConvertKit is that it gives complete free access to more than 100,000 stock images from Unsplash.
- Like sign up forms, the landing pages are also mobile-responsive and look beautiful on desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices.
5. Visual Automation
Visual automation is one of the key features of ConvertKit.
Creating powerful and automated funnels is as easy as dragging and dropping the respective actions using an automation builder.
It’s incredibly easy and straightforward to build the powerful funnels or marketing automation workflows with a drag-and-drop workflow builder.
- Simply set up the rules to define the path that your subscriber should follow and the rest will be taken care of by the app.
- The customers can be segmented based on their journey and you will always know what’s next for your subscribers.
- Know how your funnels are performing and how your subscribers are interacting with your funnels at glance.
- Each step that you create for your subscriber’s path is just a matter of clicking the plus button and selecting respective action, event or condition.
- There are many types of automated workflows or funnels that you can build with ConvertKit automation builder. For example, product launch funnel, webinar funnel, sell products online, online surveys, eCommerce etc.
6. Third-Party Integrations
The popular integrations include WordPress, WooCommerce, Shopify, Teachable, Zapier, Wix, etc.
Integrating to any third-party application is just a matter of entering the API key or integration key.
They have taken care of the rest so that the tool that you are planning to integrate works seamlessly with your ConvertKit account.
Apart from the third party integrations, ConvertKit offers API documentation so that you can integrate ConvertKit to your own applications.
7. Migration From Other Providers
There are many reasons to switch to ConvertKit.
If you are fed up with your current email marketing provider and want to make a switch, you know very well how painful it is.
ConvertKit has made this daunting task easy and seamless by removing all the roadblocks.
They offer a free migration service through which they will help you with migrating everything including autoresponders, subscribers, forms, landing pages, automation workflows, etc.
Though you still need to be involved to provide your inputs and review how the migration is taking place but it’s far easier when you are not supposed to do it yourself.
Typically, the consultants charge close to $1000 for helping in this type of service.
But ConvertKit offers it free and for those who switch to ConvertKit with 5000 or more subscribers they offer "concierge migration service".
Simply fill out a migration form, where you need to provide some additional information regarding your current setup.
That way the ConvertKit migration team will have everything they need to complete the migration on your behalf.
Be there to explain the team what you want and answer the final questions they might have and they will try to make the move as seamless as possible.
8. Email Deliverability
What's the use of writing an amazing email content when it never reaches your customer’s inbox?
Your hard work and passion to help your subscribers with their problems will forever go unnoticed.
Getting the email delivered into the inbox isn’t just as simple as sending an email.
There are many factors that must be taken into consideration from both parties, you and your email marketing provider.
ConvertKit claims that their main goal is to build a trustworthy deliverability to ensure that all the emails sent through their platform never get considered as spam and delivers into the users’ inbox.
The inbox email delivery means you are gaining trust from your subscribers and building the authority in your industry.
9. Advanced Reporting & Analytics
ConvertKit displays the detailed stats about how each of your email campaigns is performing thus helping you measure your success.
You have the ability to track how your subscribers are interacting with your emails right on the home page dashboard in the form of visual graphs.
You will be quickly able to measure the open rates, click-through rates, downloads, sales, number of opt-ins per day etc in the graphical and text formats.
If you have grouped your subscribers into the tags and segments, you will be able to track how those subscribers are engaging with your content right from your dashboard on the home page.
The details statistics will help you continue creating the content your customers likes the most.
Not just emails but the graphs also display which of your sign up forms or landing pages are converting well and which ones are not.
10. Customer Support
ConvertKit has established a good reputation when it comes to supporting their customers,
They have a support team who are very friendly and ready to help with any questions you might have related to your account or their services.
There are basically three channels to reach out to ConvertKit customer support, email support (support tickets), live chat (8am - 8pm eastern time zone) and knowledge base.
Not only do they answer your questions, but they also host live training, weekly workshops, and open office hours.
I believe now you have a fair idea about what is ConvertKit and it's key features.
It's time that we talk about it's pricing or in other words how much does ConvertKit cost each month?
The pricing plans from ConvertKit are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. ConvertKit offers four pricing plans, "0–1k subscribers", "1k-3k subscribers", "3k–5k subscribers" and "Over 5k subscribers". All the pricing plans comes with a 14-day free trial and backed up by a 30-day money-back policy.
The price you pay per month will solely depend on the number of subscribers you have on your lists.
The pricing starts at $29 per month for up to 1000 subscribers, $49 per month for up to 3000 subscribers and $79 per month for up to 5000 subscribers.
Pay annually and you will get close to a 16% discount on each of the plans.
If you have more than 5000 subscribers you are supposed to pay higher depending on the number of subscribers you have on your lists.
In that case, you can calculate the amount you need to pay per month by entering your list size into the text field on the pricing page.
All the plans have the same features except just one difference.
The "Over 5k subscribers" plan comes with a "free concierge migration" that is useful if you want to migrate to ConvertKit from another provider with more than 5000 subscribers.
Let's check out all the features you will get with any plan you choose at ConvertKit.
- Unlimited customizable forms
- Unlimited email sends
- Industry-leading deliverability
- Subscriber tagging
- Integrations with 70+ direct integrations
- ConvertKit API for integration
- Email support, live chat Support, weekly workshops
- Free quick migration
- Free concierge migration (comes only with "Over 5k subscribers" plan)
In my opinion, ConvertKit is pricing is a bit of a higher side at least for the list size up to 3000.
There are many already established email marketing platforms like GetResponse, MailChimp, Aweber etc whose plans start at less than $30 per month with more or less the same kind of features and functionality.
Furthermore, GetResponse and Aweber even offer a full first-month free trial while ConvertKit offers only a 14-day free trial.
It seems like many people have this complaint and ConvertKit seem to be giving justification for a higher price on their official blog.
I would highly recommend you put a thought over what you really need for your business, compare the features and then take a call on which provider will fit best for your needs.
However, the email marketing and automation features that you get with this pricing are amazing and there is no denying in the fact that ConvertKit is worth the money.
My idea of writing this comprehensive ConvertKit review is to give you a clear picture of everything ConvertKit has to offer.
I feel ConvertKit is a bit different email marketing tool compared to other providers in a similar space.
They are pretty much clear about their target customers who happen to be the "creators", the people who create any type of content, like bloggers, solopreneurs, digital marketers, writers, YouTubers, teachers, etc.
While other mail marketing providers target all types of audiences from an individual to large companies.
It's always better to compare the pricing and features of other email marketing tools before getting into the ConvertKit monthly subscription.
The good part is that you have a full 14 days to try out all the ConvertKit features without providing the credit card details and are backed by a 30-day money-back policy.
Ready to try out ConvertKit?
Click the button below to start your 14-day free trial with ConvertKit.
Are you finding it difficult to choose the right email marketing platform for your business?
Feel free to let me know in the comments below and I'd be happy to help you out with any query you might have. 🙂